From Kaneohe, Hawaii to Henderson, Nevada
After graduating from Castle High School, Derek enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserves. Then it was off to school. Derek earned a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Washington and a Master of Business Administration degree from the Peter F. Drucker & Masatoshi Ito Graduate School of Management at Claremont Graduate University.
Derek is a Certified Financial Planner designation (CFP®) from the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. Derek has resided in Nevada since 2000 and owns the Uehara Financial Group, LLC, which provides financial planning and investment services to individuals, businesses, and not-for-profit organizations. Prior to that, he spent 10 years with a Fortune 500 company.
Life and Success Principles
- What is your goal? You need to identify the goal. Know what you want to accomplish.
- It is all about the people – To achieve your goals, you have to work with people. When you work with people you make commitments and create relationships.
- Follow Up – Do what you say you are going to do and you will strengthen your relationships with the people you work with which will help you achieve your goals.
A Candidate for Nevada State Treasure
When did you decide to run? This past summer after someone thought I might be a great treasure. Derek is a very analytical person and after looking at what the treasurer does, he decided to run.
So what does the treasurer do?
- Handle Cash Management
- Dealing with unclaimed property (Nevada has 800 million of unclaimed property)
- Managing the education accounts.
Favorite Restaurant: SATAY THAI BISTRO & BAR (Derek and his wife (Jannie) are the owners) Looking at the reviews and talking to Derek and his wife I’ll be trying out SATAY THAI BISTRO next time I am in Las Vegas.